Maintaining your garage door is vital for security and convenience. Regular garage door maintenance keeps it functioning at its best, ensuring reliability and longevity.
What is routine garage door maintenance?
Routine maintenance on a garage door involves a series of tasks designed to keep it functioning correctly and extend its lifespan. These tasks include inspection, lubrication, and minor adjustments. Regular garage door maintenance is essential to ensure its continued reliability and longevity. By following a routine maintenance schedule, you can keep your garage door operating smoothly and avoid costly repairs down the road.
How often do you lubricate a garage door?
Lubricating your garage door is a crucial part of garage door maintenance. Generally, you should lubricate the moving parts of your garage door every six months to a year. However, in areas with extreme weather conditions, more frequent lubrication may be necessary.
What do I lubricate my garage door with?
Lubricating your garage door is a vital part of garage door maintenance, and choosing the right lubricant is essential.
- Selecting the right lubricant: When it comes to lubricating your garage door, opt for a high-quality silicone or lithium-based lubricant. These types of lubricants are ideal for garage doors because they provide excellent performance without attracting dust and dirt, which can actually cause more problems than they solve.
- Where to apply lubricant: Knowing where to apply the lubricant is crucial. Make sure to cover the following key areas:
- Rollers: Apply lubricant to the rollers, ensuring that it penetrates the bearings.
- Hinges: Lubricate the hinges between the door panels.
- Springs: Apply a small amount of lubricant to the springs, focusing on the coils. Be cautious when working with springs, as they are under tension and can be dangerous. If you’re unsure about lubricating the springs, it’s best to consult a professional.
- Tracks: Apply lubricant to the tracks on each side of the door. Be sure to clean the tracks before applying lubricant to prevent debris from causing further issues.
- Locks and keyholes: If your garage door has a lock or keyhole, apply lubricant here as well to ensure smooth operation.
- How much lubricant to use: It’s important not to over-lubricate. A little goes a long way, so apply a thin layer of lubricant to each part. Excess lubricant can attract dirt and become gummy, causing more harm than good.
- Cleaning before lubricating: Before applying lubricant, it’s a good practice to clean the parts you intend to lubricate. Wipe away dirt, debris, and old lubricant if present. This ensures that the lubricant can penetrate effectively and do its job.
Do garage door springs need to be oiled?
When it comes to garage door maintenance, lubricating the springs is a necessary step. Apply a modest amount of lubricant to the springs, concentrating on the coils. However, exercise caution when dealing with springs, as they are under tension and potentially hazardous. If you’re uncertain about lubricating the springs, seeking guidance from a professional is the safest course of action.
Is it better to keep the garage door open or closed?
It’s generally better to keep your garage door closed when not in use. An open garage door can attract pests and allow outdoor elements to enter, potentially causing damage or inconvenience.
How long do garage doors usually last?
The lifespan of a garage door varies depending on factors like usage, garage door maintenance, and the quality of the door itself. On average, a well-maintained garage door can last 15 to 30 years or more.
Taking care of your garage door through routine maintenance is a wise investment in the long-term functionality and durability of this essential household feature. Regular inspections, lubrication, and attention to detail can go a long way in preventing costly repairs and ensuring your garage door operates smoothly.
At Mr. Garage Doors, we understand the importance of a well-maintained garage door. Our team of experts is here to help you with any maintenance needs, repairs, or replacements. We provide garage door services to Calgary, Edmonton, Kamloops, and Winnipeg. Don’t wait until a small issue becomes a significant problem. Contact us today to schedule a maintenance check, and let us keep your garage door in top-notch condition, providing security and convenience for your home.